Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

That Time I Tried Something New...

...And actually liked it.  Who would have thought?!

For anyone that knows me, I can be... "fussy" about trying new things.  I am all about trying something new and will go at it 100%... but that doesn't mean there won't be some complaining and judging beforehand.

I don't like not being good at things.  I don't like not knowing what I'm doing.  When it comes to exercise, I don't like having to think about what's going on.  That's why I run.  Lace up the sneaks and go.  The most tedious thing I need to figure out on my run is whether I want to snot rocket at this corner or the next one.

Anyways, Becca has been trying to get me into yoga class for a few weeks now.  I've done yoga before and each time has been a disaster.  I don't find it relaxing, I don't find it motivating and my body just isn't meant to move and jive like that.

So, yesterday morning I finally bit the bullet and ventured into yoga class at the Y.  I figured I'd give it another shot.... really just so Becca would stop nagging me about it.  And, shockingly... I enjoyed it!  The instructor was awesome and helped us adapt the poses at our own pace and ability.  It was challenging and definitely not 60 minutes of full "zen" - but it was by far the best yoga experience I've had.  Dare I say I'll be back again?

After yesterday's success, I joined Becca tonight at the Y yet again for a new-to-me class.  The official name of the class was "Power Performance Boot Camp" -- yeah, way out of my comfort zone.  Give me cardio all day long but strength training... not really my jam.

Dr. Dan would have been SO proud of me for doing this class.  I haven't lunged and push-up'd and mountain climbed and crunched and high knee'd so much... ever.  It was hard, I felt like I was in high school gym class, and it kicked my butt.  BUT... I enjoyed it!  It was fast paced and doing it with a friend made it more fun and bearable.

So would you look at that.  Two days, two new experiences, and two positive outcomes.  Who would have thought.

awkwardly taken picture trying to capture the YMCA in the background. we are so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment